Atmos Energy Hit With Lawsuit Over Carrollton Home Explosion

[photo courtesy media partner WFAA TV]

CARROLLTON (WBAP/KLIF News ) – Atmos Energy is facing a lawsuit from a Carrollton man whose home exploded early Saturday morning.

It happened just before 4 a.m. at the home in the 1800 block of Highland Drive just south of East Beltline Road.

Attorney Jesus Garcia said his client Sergio Valdez was on his way to the bathroom when the blast occurred, leaving him with severe burns on his arms and face.

Valdez’ wife and four children were at home when the explosion occurred but were not injured.

The Carrollton Fire Department said the blast was caused by gas leaking into the sewage line after a cigarette was lit in the bathroom.

The lawsuit, filed on Sunda,y accuses the couple is accusing Atmos of gross negligence and failing to properly monitor for gas leaks. They’re seeking $1 million in damages.

Garcia’s law firm Kherkher Garcia LLP is also representing a client who is suing Atmos in connection to the explosion at the Sandman Signature Hotel in downtown Fort Worth earlier this month.

Atmos said its investigators found that its system was not involved in that explosion.

Copyright 2023. WBAP/KLIF News. All Rights Reserved.

There is no custom code to display.